Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Real Grizzly Adams


There was once a time in my life when I was very into watching reruns of the show, Grizzly Adams. I loved the daily adventures of this friendly and wise, bearded man who was living off the land and sharing his flapjacks with a huge and loving Grizzly bear named Ben. And I even still really like the shows theme song, "Maybe".
So it was pretty interesting to me when I recently discovered that there had actually been a real life, "Grizzly Adams" who roamed the Californian wilderness back in the 1800's. His full name was, John C. "Grizzly" Adams. He was born in Massachusetts in 1812. In 1858 Mr. Adams headed west, toward California on a search for gold but instead ended up becoming a highly skilled, professional hunter of Grizzly bears.
Adams made his money by selling bear meat to restaurants and selling his trained bears to circuses and zoos. Supposedly, one of his captured bear cubs followed along with him on many of his hunting expeditions and this is where the Ben Character originated.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that the real Adams was nearly as loving with his bears as the fictional Adams, but in my opinion, it is still worthwhile information to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment